StatCounter


Nov 8, 2005

Autobiography of My Dead Brother, Walter Dean Myers

Find this book in the Hawley Library.

This is the latest from Walter Dean Myers, who I think is a brilliant writer. This one incorporates graphic novel type illustrations, making it a bit of a hybrid – something else I love. So why aren’t I head over heels in love with this book?

Mostly because the subject of the book is same ‘ol same ‘ol for Walter Dean Myers – inner city kids, suddenly and they aren’t quite sure how, get mixed up in gang stuff and drug dealing and then somebody or somebodies die by gun violence. It’s an important story, but Myers has done it, and done it well. The book is great, I will recommend it, but I was a bit disappointed just because the theme is somewhat overdone, at least by this author.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

jesse transitions from a boy to a young man. in the novel, what three main events help jesse grow up?